Advisory Panel on Canada’s International Education Strategy
This message is sent on behalf of Claire Poulin, Director, International Education and Youth Division, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.
As you know, the Government of Canada has announced funding in Budget 2011 for the development and implementation of an international education strategy that will reinforce Canada as a country of choice to study and conduct world-class research. The budget also called for the establishment of an advisory panel reporting to the Ministers of International Trade and Finance to make recommendations on the strategy and to set out the contributions of all partners.
It gives me great pleasure to inform you that the Ministers of International Trade and Finance have named the panel members. This information was shared publicly on Thursday, October 13 via an official press release, please see http://www.international.gc.ca/media_commerce/comm/news-communiques/2011/300.aspx?view=d.
The panel members are:
• Dr. Amit Chakma - President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Western Ontario (Panel Chair);
• Mr. Andre Bisson – Chair of the Board, Centre for Interuniversity Research and Analysis of Organizations, lead director, Transat A.T. and Chancellor Emeritus, Université de Montréal;
• Ms. Jacynthe Côté, President and CEO, Rio Tinto Alcan;
• Dr. Colin Dodds – President, Saint Mary’s University;
• Ms. Lorna Smith – Director of International Education, Mount Royal University;
• Dr. Don Wright – President, British Columbia Institute of Technology.
I trust that you will join me in congratulating the panel members for agreeing to take on the important mandate of making recommendations on the strategy that will maximise economic opportunities for Canada in the field of international education.
I invite you to visit the new Webpage we have launched at: http://www.international.gc.ca/education/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d.
In the coming weeks, more details will be posted on this page, including the consultation process. Please do not hesitate to contact me, should you have any further questions.
Claire A. Poulin
Acting Director General
International Education and Youth Division
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
125, promenade Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G2, Canada
613-996-4551 | 613-995-3238